Based on our extensive experience organising tours to Russia and the former USSR we have an itinerary to suit you, whatever your interests and budget might be.
We offer general interest tours and itineraries with a focus on culture, recent history, World War II or space exploration as well as special event holidays, like our New Year celebration package
or a trip to the MAKS air show in Russia. If you’re not sure what’s the main focus of a tour, please refer to our short guide – How to Choose a Russian City-break
– to find the most suitable itinerary.
Please note that we operate only small groups (see below). One of the greatest advantages of group tours is the opportunity to meet new, interesting, and unusual people. This is why, for the most part, our tours are created as standard group package tours with set itinerary and departure dates, which offer you a well-organized basic program providing the best value for money. There is always some flexibility and space built in for individual pursuits. As a result, you benefit from a tried-and-tested tour concept with professional leadership, yet can also benefit from additional guided excursions or extensions to your trip.
TOUR MODIFICATIONS AND EXTENSIONS
All our standard tours operate throughout the year and we have set departure dates for each itinerary. Most of our city break packages depart on a weekly basis in spring and summer and, in winter and late autumn, twice a month. You are free to come to Russia earlier or add on some extra days after your tour. Please view our prices for extra nights
Go Russia offers a variety of guided excursions in Moscow and St. Petersburg and there will be time in the afternoons to build in additional sightseeing.
We can also arrange the same itinerary on a private basis for you if required. Please refer to the “private surcharge” section within the itinerary to find out the cost.
In addition to organized group tours, we also offer individual trips
. Whether you would like to travel independently, or just with a group of your friends or colleagues, we can help to realize your holiday plans.
Please contact us
with your request or fill in our online tailor-made form
Your comfort during the tour is our highest priory and when booking with us you entrust your valuable holiday time to the Russia experts and a passionate team who love that country and care about people. When booking your holiday with us you can choose the hotel rating for your tour: a 3* comfort package or upgrade to our 4* premium package. There’s also a special luxury tour focusing on only the best 5* accommodation. In each case, the itinerary remains the same – only the hotel rating changes.
Regardless of the hotel package you choose, we do not compromise on your comfort and safety:
- All hotels are centrally located
- They all offer excellent customer service
- All come highly recommended on Trip Advisor
To make your hotel category choice easier, here is our advice: generally 4* hotels have slightly larger rooms and offer more facilities such as perhaps a swimming pool, gym or sauna. Unless value is your absolute priority we recommend choosing a premium package, though note that our premium packages are obviously more expensive and the difference in price is higher during summer months.
TRAIN CHOICE – DAY OR OVERNIGHT
The easiest way to move between cities in Russia is by train. We do not use inter-city coach or car travel on our tours as distances are long, road quality is not ideal and motorways can be very congested.
When traveling between Moscow and St. Petersburg you can choose between a luxurious overnight train (the Grand Express
) and a high-speed day train
(the Siemens-built Sapsan). Regardless of which train you choose, you won’t lose any guided sightseeing in Moscow as both train departures are scheduled after the day’s program has taken place. There are no options to choose from when traveling between other cities on our city-breaks.
- More time in Moscow on your last day (departure 23:40, arrival 08:35 next day, travel time 8 hours 55 minutes)
- Very comfortable way of travel – the Grand Express train is like a hotel on wheels with great facilities and plenty of upgrade options (first class, premium class etc.)
- Travelling standard class is cheaper as you are saving one night hotel stay
- Sleeping on the train isn’t for everyone
Read more about the luxurious Grand Express train
- Fast (departure 16:30, arrival 20:25, with a journey time of just 3 hours 55 minutes)
- Chance to see the Russian countryside a landscape mostly consisting of forest, with some country houses and industrial buildings
- You’ll be better rested and prepared for day’s sightseeing after good night’s sleep in a hotel (as rated by some of our customers)
- Less time in Moscow with no opportunity to explore the city on your own on the last day
- More expensive as one extra night accommodation is added in St. Petersburg
- Losing out on a uniquely Russian experience, traveling on a traditional overnight train – the original means of travel in Russia
Read more about Sapsan day train
TRAIN CHOICE – 1st or 2nd CLASS
If you are on a budget and do not mind sharing with other travelers then traveling second class is an ideal option. On an overnight train
there will be four people traveling together in a compartment and on a day train you will get a standard seat. Many solo travelers prefer this option as they feel more comfortable traveling in a small group.
If privacy and comfort are more important for you, then we recommend upgrading to first class especially on an overnight journey where there will be just two of you in a compartment. On a day train you will get more comfortable seat and more legroom when traveling first class.
For ultimate comfort when traveling between Moscow and St. Petersburg overnight we recommend looking at a premium class compartment with a sofa bed or a grand compartment with en-suite facilities. This upgrade is definitely money well spent as you’ll remember the experience for years to come.
Please note that compartments on overnight trains (both first and second class) are mixed-sex. While we do our best to allocate all our customers within the same carriage and offer male and female only compartments, it is not always possible to do so.
If there are three of you traveling on a tour, you can purchase an additional ticket so there will be no strangers in your compartment.
Please also note that no train upgrade is possible once you have departed on a tour; pre-booking is essential.
Read more about train travel in Russia
- Russian Visa. All our tours include the cost of the Russian visa. Read more about our assistance with the Russian visa.
- Departure dates. All departure dates are guaranteed, we never cancel our tours unless for reasons of force majeure.
- Small groups. We operate only small groups, 2-14 people, if the group size is going to be bigger we will split the participants between the guides.
- Transfers included. No matter when you arrive to / depart from Russia, your airport transfer will be provided. We operate transfers on a 24 * 7 basis.
- Meals. Our city-breaks are on B&B basis, meaning daily breakfasts are included. For your evening meals there are plenty of restaurant choices in Russia, however if you prefer to have everything prearranged before departure and avoid looking for places to eat, we are offering you evening meal options (set menus) in the hotels where you will be staying.
- Check-in / Check-out at hotels. Please note check-in is normally at 14.00 and check-out - at 12.00. So if you arrive early or depart late and would like to use hotel outside these hours we recommend booking early check-in or late check-out. Please view available options.