Need to Know - Altai
Trekking & Horse-riding in Altai
GeneralWe highly recommend you to review all the information following the links below before your tour.
Please be aware that Altai is a remote destination where the grade of accommodation and infrastructure in general may be lower than those which would be expected to be found in western countries. Our Altai tours are first of all an opportunity to see wildlife and explore a unique flora and fauna. So please be prepared to some discomfort and varied weather conditions.
Showers and Toilet FacilitiesThere are no showers in camps only at the hotels. While camping there will be washstands. Hot water will be provided by your guides. Toilets in base camps (Vysotnik, Ak-Kem) will be either inside or in a separate simple wooden structure (WC toilet).
Trekking ToursThe tour may include short days of strenuous activity. These routes also may involve ascent and descent and the occasional difficult day, and therefore it is important for all participants to be reasonably fit. As long as you are confident of your physical condition, previous experience is not essential, although it is desirable.
HORSES FOR TREKKING TOURSFor your comfort we have included cargo horses for the whole trek. Each horse can carry up to 10 kg of personal equipment.
If you wish, you can hire additional horses for your personal belongings. A horse can carry up to 55 kg and costs 25 eur per day. A horseman is also required and must be paid (the same price per day). One horseman can lead up to three horses.
What goes on a horse
- Personal belongings (personal load)
- Common equipment: tents, common tent, cooking equipment, first aid box
Depending on how much personal load you put on a horse you can choose a number of horses required.
- With a minimum personal load on a horse (4-5 kg per person)
- 2-3 participants: 1 horse + 1 horse man
- 4-5 participants: 2 horses + 1 horse man
- 6-7 participants: 3 horses + 1 horse man
For example for 7 participants: 3 horses + 1 horse man. Trekking 10 days: 4 horses * 10 days * 25 EUR = 1000 EUR per group
- With a maximum personal load on a horse (10-12 kg per person)
- 2-3 participants: 2 horses + 1 horse man
- 4-5 participants: 3 horses + 1 horse man
- 6-7 participants: 4 horses + 2 horse men
For example for 7 participants: 4 horses + 2 horse men. Trekking 10 days: 6 horses * 10 days * 25 EUR = 1500 EUR per group.
Your AccommodationPlease note that despite limited alternatives we use the best available accommodation options. Please see the detailed description in the "Accommodation" tab.
If you are a single traveller, you will be staying in:
- A single room at a hotel;
- A single tent while trekking;